Remagen Germany Rhineland-Palatinate
Frequently Asked Questions
Along the Rheinpromenade, the tree-lined avenue bordering the town along its whole length. The old centre opens just behind the quays.
For its bridge. On 7 March 1945, American soldiers found here the last intact bridge over the Rhine: its capture, which the press called the miracle of Remagen, hastened the end of the Second World War in Europe. Ten days later the structure collapsed.
Two pairs of dark stone towers facing each other across the river, with nothing left to carry. The left-bank towers house the Peace Museum, created in 1980.
On foot, about fifteen minutes along the bank upstream from the landing. Photographs, testimonies and objects retrace the race of March 1945 and the site transformation into a plea against war.
The old centre and its market square, the Ludendorff bridge memorial, then the climb to the Apollinariskirche. Those with more time continue to Rolandseck and the Arp Museum.
The pilgrimage hill above the town, crowned by the four neo-Gothic spires of the Apollinariskirche. Built in the mid-nineteenth century, the church holds a fresco cycle by the Nazarene painters covering most of its walls.
Allow about twenty minutes on foot along a path lined with the stations of a Way of the Cross. Comfortable shoes are advised; the effort is repaid by a view over the valley, the vineyards and the Siebengebirge summits.
Yes. It already existed as Rigomagus, a Roman post on the Rhine road, and its medieval core preserves that layout. Near the parish church, the carved Pfarrhoftor doorway has puzzled historians for generations with its enigmatic creatures.
An exhibition venue in a nineteenth-century railway station in dialogue with a contemporary building by Richard Meier, north of Remagen. It presents the work of Hans Arp and Sophie Taeuber-Arp facing Nonnenwerth island. The regional train returns in minutes.
The euro. Cards work at the museum and restaurants, but keep cash for the market square cafés and small shops.



